Fall 2011 TV Season – New Show Reviews
Below is another great post from TV Script Consultant Joey. No, I do not know how to make these letters smaller. Enjoy her take on the 2011 Fall TV Shows! -Eric
I love the new TV season. I love coming home to a full DVR overflowing with potential. But unfortunately, this season is off to a pretty disappointing start.
I’ll update as new shows premiere (I remain extremely optimistic about American Horror Story) but so far, my current standings are as follows:
- New Girl – A Cute. Nervous about the replacement of Coach but will definitely keep it on the DVR.
- Terra Nova – A- Almost didn’t even bother watching this one; from the previews, it seemed ridiculous – like the Jurassic Park ride at Universal. But then I got sucked in. Edge of my seat viewing. Dinosaurs. Time Travel. A hybrid Cop Procedural/Family Drama all in one. How has this not been done before?
- Free Agents – B+ Good potential. The leads are likable, the writing is good. Not much of a premise, but still fun.
- Hart of Dixie – B Summer Roberts and Jason Street meet in a small town-Doc Hollywood scenario? How could I not be excited? The pilot was a little underwhelming but it’s all good fun.
- The Secret Circle – B- I’m a sucker for teen shows and supernatural shows, so my hopes were high. Seems pretty mediocre so far. But again, might get better. I’ll keep it around for the moment.
- Prime Suspect – C+ I could take it or leave it. Will give it another episode.
- Person of Interest – C+ That beard and wild hair in the first act were terrible. Plus, I’m just not buying the premise.
- 2 Broke Girls – C I like my comedies to be funny. This one just isn’t quite funny.
- Playboy Club – C Nothing compels me to watch again. Not even Eddie Cibrian’s dimples.
- Gifted Man – C Blah. The premise is too maudlin, plus I like a lead with personality.
- Suburgatory – C Hard to sit through. A waste of Jeremy Sisto and so many failed attempts at jokes. Not loving the lead girl. But right at the end, I sort of got sucked in for a moment. Might give it one more week.
- Ringer – C- My hopes were high that this could be a guilty pleasure. Two episodes in and all guilt, no pleasure.
- Unforgettable – C- The name is apparently ironic.
- Revenge – D+ Does not feel like an ABC show. Nor a show I care about.
- Up All Night – D I hate it when actors I like play characters that make me cringe. I even sat through episode 2 hoping it would grow on me. It grew worse.
- Pan Am – D They should have just made it fun, light and soapy instead of…a spy recruitment? A mysterious disappearance? Please! If you’re going to try to be the female Mad Men, don’t screw with the formula.
- Whitney – F Encapsulates all my pet-peeves in the world. Cringe-worthy from beginning to end.
New Girl is the winner!