Judy is a client who has used my screenwriting servies and is a filmmaker in China. That’s right, China. -Eric
Best Movies of 2012
by Judy Lee
1. Argo – A historical politic event mixed with thriller genre, compelling as it to the best.
2. Silver Linings Playbook – A bi-polar character doesn’t need medication, but crazier love. Plausible screenwriting with a novel perspective.
3. Zero Dark Thirty – Tribute to the female director as this film actually is feminism, apart from the torture issue. (Oscar best actress)
4. Life of Pi – A human survivor connects unexpectedly with a fearsome tiger survivor. An epic adventure.
5. Amour – Tedious ordinary aged couple life as neighbors you can see, but shocked and deepened by the powerful ending.
6. Les Miserables – “To love another person is to see the face of god”.
7. The Impossible – A family strength toward the tsunami. Perfect cast performance.
8. The Grey – Courage to surviving. The monotonous snow white turns into hopeless hazy grey.
9. People Like Us – Forgiveness to a deceased father, though the moral related with the extra-marriage affair is not acceptable by everyone. Chris Pine’s remarkable acting made him the Oscar award presenter.
10. Five Broken Camera – A documentary on a Palestinian farmer’s chronicle of his nonviolent resistance to the actions of the Israeli army.
Don’t Miss or Overrated
11.Lincoln – Great historical story, but for the movie, mostly due to Daniel Day-Lewis’ excellent performance. (Oscar best actor)
12. Skyfall – First time feel emotional bond with the theme, a little sentimental about Bond’s boss change. Bond’s girls weakly functional though
13. Django Unchained – Okay it’s a Tarantino’s film, if you like him, you like it. If not, this is a mean film.
14. Hunger Games – Very entertaining.
15. Looper – Better than expected.
16. The Dark Knight Rises – Overrated.
17. The Land of Blood and Honey – Watchable.
18. Flight – The main character’s flaw ‘drinking problem’ seems too common, not well rooted to make audience into him no matter how terrific Denzel Washington performed.
19. The Cabin in the Woods – An enjoyable horror film.
Could be Worse
20. The Lucky One – A tsunami of syrup drama with gap plotting, but visually enjoyable.
21. This Means War – The main character’s emotion subsided due to ‘high concept’, but enjoyed the twists and turns. However the last turn in the ending is a surplus.
22. Cloud Atlas – The story’s spine is weak and vague as six lives’ circle spanned a thousand of years.
23. This Is 40 – The screenplay needs more twists to weave the couple’s conflicts.
24. LOL – Ahigh school budding love is a cliché, nothing to do with internet style by the term ‘LOL’
25. Beasts of the Southern Wild – Need special understanding. Watch just for it’s an Oscar nominee.
Thanks for the list, Judy! I learned a new phrase: “tsunami of syrup.” Nice! -Eric